help with interesting 'query'

From: Dave <dse_at_idt.net>
Date: 1998/08/17

hi

        i need the 'groups' help with a query. hopefully someone will be able to help. i have two tables ...

create table foo
(

	id	varchar (10)
	f1	varchar (5)
	f2	int
	f3	varchar (5)
	f4	int
	f5	varchar (5)
	f6	int
	f7	varchar (5)
	f8	int

)

create table fooExtended
(

	id	varchar (10)
	f1	varchar (5)
	f2	int
	f3	varchar (5)
	f4	int
	f5	varchar (5)
	f6	int
	f7	varchar (5)
	f8	int

)

one is obviously a copy of the other. the contents of foo will be overriden on a daily basis - we purchase our data from an outside provider. however, we extend the data by changing the value of some subset of the non-primary key fields (id is the primary key). i need to be able to perform a query that given an 'id' will retrieve any non null values from fooExtended but if a field is null in fooExtended will retrieve its value from foo.

        i realize that one way of solving this is to make fooExtended a complete copy of foo when and if we extend any of its values - but that is expensive in terms of storage. i'm hoping to use a more efficient/elegant solution.

        here's another question....

        is it possible to programmatically supply a table name, the fields and predicates used in a query ? for instance

exec doQuery 'employee', 'emp_id, fname, lname', 'where fname like a%'

doQuery is a stored procedure that programmatically 'builds' a query. the above will result in the following query being built

select emp_id, fname, lname
from employee
where fname like 'a%'

for what its worth i'm using ms-sql server 6.5.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
dave Received on Mon Aug 17 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message