Re: Experience with Oracle JDBC and BLOBS?

From: Joe Weinstein <joe_at_weblogic.com>
Date: 1998/06/19

Erik Simonsen wrote:

> I am considering to implement an application using BLOBs and JDBC.
> Does anybody have experiences to share (positive/negative/trade-off)
> with JDBC drivers for Oracle and BLOBs?

We test our JDBC drivers continually with 4 meg. blob transmissions. No problem.

> Are Oracle and Sybase BLOBs compatible?

Blobs are blobs. You get out what you put in. Serialize a Java object to a blob and then fetch the bytes back out and you can reconstitute the object. Oracle or Sybase doesn't matter.

--

Joseph Weinstein        Staff Engineer       http://www.weblogic.com
WebLogic, Inc.          415-659-2621                joe_at_weblogic.com