complicated access-sql-oracle mix seeking advice

From: <briansheehanABC_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1998/06/08

I've been asked at work to give some advice on a proposed new database/timesheet system, we will buy in programmers to do the task when necessary but right now we are looking for the right direction to move in.

We are made up of eight regional offices with 10-15 people in each office, the offices are in major uk cities with our headoffice in London.

We need to implement a series of databases that will manage timesheeting (probably through a front end like Timesheet Professional), fax distribution of press notices using fax server software, posting of press notices and other typical database use. At present we are linked to London by what's called a kilostream line.

Office software is Windows 95 running on a Novell 4.1 netwok with all servers in london running either Novell and one or two may be running Unix. There are no NT servers at present.

My gut feeling is to have a good SQL/Oracle database in London with users accessing the data through a web browser or through Crystal Reports. This would require quite a lot of visual basic and java scripting I suspect The alternative is to have seperate databases in each regional office updating and being updated by the one in London, but this to me seems a recipe for disaster if the network misbehaves.

Can anyone give me some thoughts on the above in terms of suitable databases in London. Currently every member of staff has a copy of access97 on their pc, but I know it's not geared up to handling a job of this size.

I've got an open mind on this, I just what a feeling for what is best before hiring in consultants to do the job.

Last point, we're government based so reasonable security is a requirement.

Many thanks Received on Mon Jun 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message