Re: Differences of Oracle 7.3 and Oracle 8

From: Douglas Dunyan <dmdunyan_at_futureone.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 1998 01:56:22 -0700

nelson wrote:

> I planned to take a class on Oracle 8. If I learned this version will
> I be able to support ver. 7.3 ???

Yes

> Is there a big difference between this 2 versions?

YesMost of the instructors I have met are very considerate to the fact the 8.0 has been in production release about 6 months. I have taken the following classing in the Masters of Technology for DBA path

  1. Intro to Oracle PL/SQL using procedure builder (Pretty much the Same for both)
  2. Develop Data Models and Design Databases (All theory and lecture...no computer activity)
  3. Oracle 8 Database Administration (New features, some minor changes, except row_id translation)
  4. Oracle 8 Backup and Recovery (New features, 3 cheers for RMAN)
  5. I will be taking Oracle 7 Performance Tuning on Monday, so I won't know about that. I will however inquire.
  6. SQL*Net has also been upgraded to NET8. I will see at the end of July.

I have also taken Oracle Certified professional tests for classes 1, 3, and 4. The test are for V 7.x, as the OCP rollout for V8 is not due until late summer/fall 98. I feel the instructor led training has given me a solid foundation in to become an Oracle Database Administrator, with no database experience or knowledge coming in. It has give me a strong level of confidence. Now if I could only find a DBA position in Arizona....

--dumunyan_at_futureone.com

                |  _at____oo   (    "When Brains    _)
      /\  /\   / (___,,,}_--=    are outlawed,  )
     ) /^\) ^\/ _)        =__    Only OUTLAWS   _)
     )   /^\/   _)          (_     will HAVE   )