Re: How to reduce downtime

From: Mark Woytus <mwoytus_at_divcomp.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 02:56:20 GMT

On 2 Jun 1998 18:30:54 +0400, Eugene Krainov <dake_at_simcb.ru> wrote:

> I have an Oracle server 7.3.5.1 running a number of
>instances on HP 9000 server here. Total database volume is about 8GB.
>I'm doing full backup once a month because of lack of space.
>Yesterday a developer made a typo that conducted a cascade deletion
>of business data. So, managers wanted me to restore database
>state on a two hours ago. I had to restore the full backup and
>then roll forward all transactions for about a month. It took
>some time of course. In case of rollback or single tablespace
>failure the recovery time is not so long and most job can be done
>online. So can anyone advice a good backup strategy to reduce
>down time in case of human error?
>
>--
>dake

Do backups every day. Use compress or gzip to copy the data files and archived redo logs, so the copies are compressed. After the backup completes, copy the compressed data files to tape. Make a decision about how long you want to keep the tapes -- a week? month? year?. If you don't have a tape drive, get one -- then begin backing up the rest of your system, not just the data files.

Lack of space should not control how often you do backups. Conversely, the management visibility you received from this fiasco should allow you to demand additional hardware if you think it would help.

Did you really apply a month's worth of archived redo logs in a restore? Wow! That would scare the heck out of me. Mark Woytus (w)309.888.8423 (f)309.888.8246 Diversified Computer Consultants
mwoytus_at_divcomp.com woytus_at_acm.org Received on Wed Jun 03 1998 - 04:56:20 CEST

Original text of this message