Re: Problem inserting more than 20000 records on Oracle 7.3.3.0.0

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1998/05/29

A copy of this was sent to "ing. Massimo Chiaia" <maxint_at_box.seven.it> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Fri, 29 May 1998 18:31:01 +0200, you wrote:

>Hy, I'm a Sw Enginneer writing an application which uses ODBC to insert and
>update records on a Oracle 7.3.3.0.0 Server running on a Win NT Server 4.0
>Station.
>
>I've got this very painful problem:
>my batch procedure must insert a lot of records (approx. 150000) in a single
>table, and it uses the normal ODBC mechanism of insertion (i use the MFC
>Crecordset-CDatabase architecture) with Commits every 50 records. After the
>first 20000 records inserted, quite sharply the performance of the procedure
>decreases:
>20000 rec per hour -------> 200 rec per hour !!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>The only frustrating solution i've found, is to reboot the Win95 client and
>restart the procedure from the last commit...
>
>Can Anybody help me ? I desperately need a confirmation that this coulb be a
>recognized native problem (not just ODBC)

How big are your online redo log files? Does your alert log show messages like "Checkpoint not complete, cannot allocate new log"?

If your log files are small, add a couple of larger ones (the default ones supplied with the starter database are in general too small). For a database doing lots of inserts, you might consider 25-50meg or more of log.

>Thank You very much
>
>my e-mail is maxint_at_box.seven.it

Thomas Kyte
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
Oracle Government
Herndon VA

Anti-Anti Spam Msg: if you want an answer emailed to you, you have to make it easy to get email to you. Any bounced email will be treated the same way i treat SPAM-- I delete it. Received on Fri May 29 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message