Re: Meaning for Nextval

From: Arnold Schommer <aschommer_at_fs-edv.de>
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 18:06:58 +0200

XXXX wrote:

> Could somebody help me on "Nextval" means? I could not find the
> meaning or
> usauge in the regular Oracle books.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Subra

Sequences can be accessed in (PL/)SQL somewhat like (package-) functions.
As far as i know, they consist of two pseudo-functions: NEXTVAL and CURRVAL. NEXTVAL is the next value of the sequence, CURRVAL the last used - but caution: a new created sequence has no CURRVAL yet. Trying to get it produces an error message.
You can use sequences like this:

        SELECT sequencename.NEXTVAL INTO :var FROM DUAL; for a new sequence-value or

        SELECT sequencename.CURRVAL INTO :var FROM DUAL; to re-get the last.

hope it helps.

Arnold Received on Mon May 25 1998 - 18:06:58 CEST

Original text of this message