Re: Debugging a Stored Procedure on the Database

From: Michael Krolewski <vandra_at_u.washington.edu>
Date: 1998/05/24

There are several tools (listed in other letters -- SQL Navigator, TOAD (www.toadsoft.com)

The other thing is to do the printf - like debugging. Using dbms_output.put_line(....)
function. Look up the information in the manuals. The major difficulty is that the
output is limited to 1M characters. And the dbms_output does not flush -- you have
to wait for the procedure to finish to see the result. There is a setting for using this
with SQLPlus. I believe it is "set serveroutput on"

Alternatively, you can use the utl_file package which has a more standard file

functions including flush. You are not limited in terms of number of lines or destination.
The only serious issue is that there is a flag/variable within the control file for the
database. If it is your own database, you can configure it yourself. The database
needs to be stopped and restarted.
The general problem with setting up the control file is generally the under the administration
of the dba. Often the dba wants to restrict the directories that can be written to.If you can
get it, I would suggest setting the variable to '*' which means anywhere.

Mike Krolewski.