Re: Debugging a Stored Procedure on the Database

From: ALEX J JENTILUCCI <ALEXJENT_at_prodigy.net>
Date: 1998/05/21

Hi Sean,

    The most common approach (IMHO) is to write a "debug" procedure and call is
at the points of interest. For instance, in my code SQL statements are preceded with a function variable
IE: Func_No := 12345 and some kind of message string IE: msg := 'Starting something';

Then when appropiate the debug procedure is called which DBMS_OUTPUT the func_no and msg variables
and anything else you deem of interest.

IE:
----- Global Variables ----

    DEBUG_FLAG BOOLEAN := TRUE;     Func_no NUMBER := 0;
    Msg VARCHAR2(2000) := '';

Procedure Debug IS
BEGIN
    IF (DEBUG_FLAG) THEN
        DBMS_OUTPUT(Func_no||' - '||msg);    END IF;
END; With the DEBUG_FLAG you can turn output on or off and can stay in the code to possibly
debug production code too.

This is fairly simple and can be enhanced to include Oracle error codes and error messages etc. to suit
your needs.

Good luck.

Alex