Re: How to partition for Oracle 8

From: Paul Miller <pmiller_at_mv.mv.com>
Date: 1998/05/20

Denis DORR wrote:

> Mike Ferris wrote:
> >
> > A new HP 9000 K class is to be setup for Oracle 8 installation.

[...snip...]

> Concerning Oracle software, you must have Oracle recommendations in the
> installation guide for your Oracle 8.
> Concerning your Oracle data, you should know how much space your
> tablespaces are going to use.

Oracle describes something called the "Optimal Flexible Architecture" in their setup guides (OFA). It took me several readings to understand what they were talking about, but it has some benefits (it's fairly common in Oracle shops, it allows you to access all of the datafiles with a single unix wildcard string of "/u*/oradata/*")

Basically, OFA recommends several directories /u01 through /u??, then a subdirectory under each called oradata, then the actual datafiles. Some directories are devoted to system stuff and others are used for data.

We are running a moderately-sized DB and OFA is useful. We have separate OS partitions for each /u?? directory.

Like the last poster said, you do want to have a pretty good idea of how much data you need and how you can split it up.

Good luck. I hope this was useful and not confusing :)

paul Received on Wed May 20 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message