Re: Import/Export problem

From: John Kanagaraj <johnk_at_ppl.brunet.bn>
Date: 1998/05/19

Steve Miller wrote:

> Yacov,
>
> I'm not very familiar with what you were initially trying to do, but as
> far as your question of modifying the .dmp file directly, you won't be able
> to do that. Assuming you can't export again to get your "create
> statements" for modification, I've had fairly good luck using strings
> against the .dmp file and then re-directing into a another file - which I
> then modify to re-create the object.
>
> for example:
>
> strings my_table.dmp | egrep -i "create table" > my_table.sql
>
> I then vi my_table.sql, modify the table create statment and/or storage,
> and then use that to create my table in the database. I'll then import
> my_table.dmp and ensure I specify ignore=Y. That should do it. I'm not
> sure if this answers the initial question, but I hope it helps. If I
> "missed it", let me know and I'll take another shot.
>
> Steve
>
> Yacov Wolfowicz <yacovw_at_ecitele.com> wrote in article
> <355B2F58.6CA8846C_at_ecitele.com>...
> > Hi,
> > First, let me thank all those who bothered to try and help me.
> > Thanks very much.
> >
> > But...
> > Its not so simple. It seems that the database was create somewhere else
> > and then imported to our machine. The size of all db objects ( tables,
> > indexes etc. ) conforms with the large db. As a result, when i try to
> > import it to my personal machine ( after creating tablespaces and db
> > files ) i get error messages saying something like
> >
> > "Cannot create initial extent......"
> >
> > Maybe the db was created at our site using backup and restore, or else
> > the objects should hold their initial settings, Or maybe the db was
> > created with gigantic objects to begin with.
> >
> > The question remains : is there any way i can edit the .dmp file?
> > --
> > Life is hard...
> > and then you die

Hi All!
One thing to watch out for is "COMPRESS EXTENTS" being set to "yes" on export - this means that large tables in many extents (which could fit into the existing tablespaces) gets compressed into 1 large initial extent. There is no way around this but to pre-create all such tables and ignore errors during import.

HTH
John Kanagaraj Received on Tue May 19 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message