Auto increment per date

From: John Taylor <john_hamilton.taylor_at_virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 12:26:52 +0100

A few weeks ago I asked about auto-incrementing in ORACLE and received a  solution using SEQUENCE. Is there anyway I can use an 'auto-incremented' field together with a date field, such that when I enter a new date (time being 00:00:00) the 'auto-incremented' field can reset to 1 for that date and then increment only within that date?

This seems like a very tricky task but with over 100,000 records a day on this table I could do with a solution.

Many thanks,

John Taylor (john_hamilton.taylor_at_virgin.net) Received on Tue May 12 1998 - 13:26:52 CEST

Original text of this message