Help installing Oracle 7.3.4 on AIX

From: Kael Sidhe <kaelsidhe_at_ntr.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 1998 19:14:02 -0500

    Hello all. I need help! I'm a beginning Oracle DBA who has just found out that the 3rd party software providers were not, in fact, going to be installing the Oracle base for their product, nor configuring the OS. I was informed today that it was to be me who gets this dubious honor... tomorrow!

    I am scheduled for classes but as yet have only attended the 5 day Intro to Oracle class. I do, however, have extensive experience doing minor maintenance and support of an EXISTING 6.2 Oracle database on a VMS system.

    My mission, whether I want it or not, is to configure AIX 4.1.5 for Oracle. (with the help of our AIX Administrator) and then do a "vanilla" install of Oracle. (their words, not mine!) I have several questions...

  1. What do I need to do to prepare AIX for Oracle?
  2. Can someone give me a general "road-map" of what to expect and what I should watch out for during the install? There is an installation guide on the CD itself but I don't get that until tomorrow either. (sigh)
  3. I'll give some system specs below but where do I want to install the Oracle directory structure?
  4. Anything else anyone can help me out with.

Here's some system background...
AIX on 2 processor RS/6000
512MB's
512MB's Paging size (currently)
4 - 4.5GB HDDs in addition to 1 - 4.5GB system HDD (mirrored -10 drives total)

In addition to the Oracle table space I will need approx 650MB's for the 3rd party app, 650MB's for user data, and 1.5GB's for data.

Thanks in Advance!
Roger Westbrook
If possible, please respond to "rwestbrook_at_dollargeneral.com" Received on Thu Apr 23 1998 - 02:14:02 CEST

Original text of this message