Re: Need some advice

From: LMLinson <lmlinson_at_aol.com>
Date: 1998/03/31

In article <351f4003.52174195_at_news.dsp.com>, Guess@.5geocities.co5m (dna) writes:

> What I want to know is if Access resembles or can
> work with any of the other RDBS packages. And the
> what I'd need to do,with the skills I have now, to be
> able to work with some of the other packages out
> there. Do I have enough background to work with
> any other packages? ((Oracle, Informix, Peoplesoft,
> Dcom)

First, you have a real mixture here: Oracle and Informix are server relational databases, Peoplesoft is a large customizable set of business applications, and DCOM is Microsoft's Distributed Component Object Model -- an application architecture.

Your experience with Access will likely qualify you to work with Access as a client application for either Oracle or Informix, but you may have to "talk your way on to the project" if you do not have previous experience with Access as a client to some server DBMS. Access, does, by the way, create nice client apps for these heavy-duty server databases, and (despite what some have said here in the newsgroup) you don't really have to redo so all your forms are unbound and you are recreating Access functions in VBA code!

It won't, by a long shot, qualify you to serve as a Data Base Administrator or to develop Stored Procedures or create the server databases in Oracle or Informix, but if you've learned some of Access' flavor of SQL, you'll have a headstart on learning them.

You'd need specific training and experience in Peoplesoft to interest anyone in hiring you, I suspect.

Some DCOM functions are rather automatic when you are using various products in the Windows environment; others are "close to the metal" so that you'd need different language and experience to work in that area. Received on Tue Mar 31 1998 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message