Re: Newbie Question

From: (wrong string) ébastien CHILLET <Jean-Sebastien.Chillet.LMI_at_no>
Date: 1998/03/23

Bonjour et bienvenue,

  using regedt32.exe, look in the NT4 registry under HKEY LOCAL MACHINE. There, under the SOFTWARE directory, you should find an ORACLE entry : click on it and you'll be displayed ORACLE's environment variables amongst which you'ld find the ORACLE SID key (i.e. : the default DB you'll be using).
  Verify that the value is correct, if not correct it and if the ORACLE SID key is missing, add it and provide it with the right value.   This will allow you to forget SQL*Net as long as you're working on the same server your DB is.
  If not, you'll endure the SQL*Net configuration...   It's not as difficult as it seems, here are the basic steps (sorry, I don't know ORACLE Lite and its tools and therefore may not show incredible accuracy) :

  • First configure the LISTENER on the DB server : provide it with the DB(s) name(s) it should handle, as long with the ports it will "listen" for messages coming from clients sides.
  • Start it.
  • Configure your client(s), this means configuring your TNSNAMES.ORA file. You should have a tool for that (SQL*Net Easy Configuration). Provide for each DB you plan to access from this client the Host name (i.e. : DB server's name or network TCP/IP address), the DB name the LISTENER process is listening for and the Alias you'll provide ("Host String") as long with the user/password credentials when connecting to your most preferred DB...
  • There it is, follow this line and you'll get into it.

  Hope this helped.

"When everything else fails, try reading the manuals" -J.S.C.

Germain Rioux a crit dans le message <6em3ka$c60$1_at_news.on>...
>Hello,
>
>I am trying to set-up Oracle Lite on my NT 4.0 Server.
>
>The installation process went without a glitch, installed the
 components and
>a "test database" - POLite.
>
>The Oracle "Navigator" recognizes the db and connects to it without any
>problems.
>
>When I try to connect to the db from other applications, such as
 SQL*Plus, I