Re: ORA 12500:TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process, Help!

From: Microsoft <Bill.Gates_at_microsoft.com>
Date: 1998/03/18

On 17 Mar 1998 15:46:46 GMT, "Cathy Cantieri" <fakeaddress_at_utmb.edu> wrote:

>I was working fine in this database. I exited and then the next time I went
>to get in I got this error message. I have one listener set up and 3
>databases. The other 2 are fine but this one keeps giving this error
>message. Does anyone have any ideas how to solve it? The book says that the
>environment may not be set up correctly but it is the same as the other 2
>databases and they are working fine.
>
>--
>Please email replies to the address below. The return address is
>intentionally
>wrong to avoid junk email.
>
>Cathy Cantieri
>mailto:cmcantie_at_utmb.edu

I encountered the same problem.
It had something to do with maximum process count of the oracle user. Stopping another database instance should solve the problem for now. But on the other hand you shoud consider your settings in the kernel configuration file - check parameters for maximum user processes - and the sqlnet configuration file sqlnet.ora - check SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME; should be set to some integer value, for examble 2 (means 2 minutes to wait for termination of lost connections). Maybe you'd run in server resource underrun because some dedicated server processes forked by the listener didn't terminated well.

Best regards, hope this helps a bit Received on Wed Mar 18 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message