Re: Oracle7.3.2/EMC Storage Implementation

From: Laurie D. Miller <ldmiller_at_popserver4.stanford.edu>
Date: 1998/03/10

We use EMC with Sybase and Oracle for our production servers. We store both the binaries and data on the EMC. Most of our servers are using Raid 0 +1,
a few are using Raid 5.

All of our experiences have been excellent. We have much better performance and better reliability using EMC then we did with standard disks. We do have a
pretty large cache, 1-2GB. This is where some performance measurements are in order. Depending on your layout and application usage, the cache may need to be adjusted.

Good luck, Laurie.

--
Sybase/Oracle DBA
Stanford University
devendra_moharir_at_NoSPAM-3454.bbs.bellsouth.com wrote in message
<6e1h5l$9tt$1_at_orthanc.reference.com>...

>Hi All,
>
>Recently our organization purchased EMC storage system and
>we are in the process of migrating our oracle 7.3.2 databases
>on sun solaris 2.5.1 with external disk packs to this EMC
>storage systems(model 5700)and thus getting rid off external
>disk packs.
>
>It will be a RAID-1 storage system.
>
>Our dilemma is how to get the best of this setup for performance
>as well as fault tolerance.Where should oracle system stuff
>(system, users , tools, temp databases) reside ?on the host sun system or
on EMC ?
>What architecture is
> recommended and used commonly and why ?Is it advisable to put
> 4-5 instances of oracle for 4-5 different applications on EMC ?
> How does EMC handle this ? We are in the process of planning
>and testing various architectures of laying out a oracle
> database on EMC.
>Has anybody out there used this ? Is it good to put all these
>temps, redos, RBS for these instances on one EMC unit ?
>BTW, we do not run any application in archive log mode.
>out of these 4 databases we will be putting on EMC only one
>is of 100+ GB. Other are < 25 GB
>
>Any feedback/suggestions will be most appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>Devendra
>please mail at : devendra_moharir_at_bbs.bellsouth.com
>PS : Remove NoSPAM-3454. from email address if you use 'reply'.

begin 666 lmiller_at_lindy.stanford.edu.vcf M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-"DXZ.VQM:6QL97) ;&EN9'DN<W1A;F9O<F0N961U#0I& M3CIL;6EL;&5R0&QI;F1Y+G-T86YF;W)D+F5D=0T*14U!24P[4%)%1CM)3E1% L4DY%5#IL;6EL;&5R0&QI;F1Y+G-T86YF;W)D+F5D=0T*14Y$.E9#05)$#0H` ` end