Microsoft Query returns corrupt data to Excel v7.0a from Oracle v7

From: Laurence Carr <lnc_at_jeffrey-rogers.co.uk>
Date: 1998/02/27

Dear All,

I have posted this problem before, (to 'microsoft.xxx' newsgroups) and have received some ideas utilizing
add-on software, or re-writing macros etc. (thanks to those who responded)

I'm hoping someone out there can tell me whether there is a bug somewhere, or whether we are doing something wrong.

Firing up MS Query from Excel v7, I connect to an Oracle v7 database running under HP-UX 10.20. The dataset retrieved into MS Query looks fine, but when returned to Excel, after a few hundred rows, there appears to be a control character, followed by several blank rows, and then the next set ofcontiguous data. For a large query, say 4000 rows, this pattern repeats itself with regularity through the data.

If the data is returned to a MS Access table, it appears fine! The problem seems to be between MS Query and MS Excel.

This problem is driving me mad, as we have several users for whom this method of data retrieval is the best and easiest.

TIA Laurence Carr
lnc_at_jeffrey-rogers.co.uk Received on Fri Feb 27 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message