Re: Workgroup Server 7.3.3 patch

From: <yoderjl_at_mailcity.com>
Date: 1998/02/23

In article <6cd7sh$9hc$1_at_nnrp1.dejanews.com>,   yoderjl_at_mailcity.com wrote:

> Has anyone installed the 7.3.3.0.0 Workgroup Server patch (wgs733_patch.tar)?
> I'm trying to get an estimate on how long the install took.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Jeffery Yoder
> yoderjl_at_mailcity.com (Address valid for two weeks after posting date).

> http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based newsreading

Well, to answer my own question (for anyone who might need this in the future) it took about 20 minutes on a Sun Ultra Enterprise 3000.

That 20 minutes is for running the install.sh script once. However a problem I ran into is that we are running four instances at the same time. Part of the install.sh script upgrades the data dictionary (the upgrade subroutine), and this is the part of the script that runs the longest. The script doesn't prompt you for the ORACLE_SID, and doesn't allow for more than one instance. ORACLE suggested that I run the script four times, changing the ORACLE_SID each time! Instead I yanked the upgrade() portion of install.sh out and ran it three more times (setting ORACLE_SID correctly between each run) after running install.sh and before root.sh.

Jeffery Yoder
yoderjl_at_mailcity.com