Re: Oracle V7.3 vs. V8.0

From: Uday Bikkasani <udayb_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1998/02/21

Table and Index partitions do not exactly mean increased performance. There have been some instances where we actually lost performance during our tests. Oracle 8 does partition elimination only if you are searching based on a prefixed local index ( Prefix being the partition key). Dont partition in 8.0.3 unless you really need to.

uday

Billy Verreynne wrote in message <6c9008$b5j$1_at_hermes.is.co.za>...
>Scott Cairns wrote in message <01bd3888$0ee7c560$d4000080_at_ccu09>...
>>Dave Moore <dmoore_at_bmc.com> wrote in article
 <34E2F2FA.3352A581_at_bmc.com>...
>>> Oracle8 gives you many advantages including:

>>> * VLDB support: Table and Index partitions that increase performance.
>>Is this analogous to segments in Sybase?
>
>Not sure how Sybase segments work - if it is the same as SQL-Server then
 no.
>With Oracle you have physical datafiles or raw slices that makes up a
>tablespace. An object such as a table or index can be stored in a
>tablespace. With partitionining, you can specify via constraints which data
>of a table must be stored in which datafile in the tablespace. With
>retrieval Oracle then "knows" (if you use the patitioning contraints as
 part
>of the SQL criteria) which datafiles to use and which not to use when doing
>i/o. This can make a *huge* difference in i/o performance for VLDs and
 VLTs.