Re: Oracle V7.3 vs. V8.0

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/02/11

In article <01bd3722$31d8cef0$d4000080_at_ccu09>, Scott Cairns <sdcairns_at_mindspring.com> wrote:
>We are planning a 'green-field' Oracle installation (i.e., we are in the
>planning and acquisition stages only). If we don't have any legacy
>databases to port, should we jump in with v8.0 or v7.3?
>
>What does v8.0 give you over v7.x?

A whole bunch of stuff that basically only applies to data warehousing.

>This would be a data warehousing application with no multimedia
>requirements and no replication requirements (that we know of as of this
>writing). Hardware/OS would be most likely Sun Solaris.
>
>My concerns (coming from a Sybase 11 background) is that you probably don't
>want to jump in with the new model and go with the tried and true.

That is a reasonable concern, but at this point it is close to stable and any bugs you do find might not get the highest priority. The time it will take you to actually get to production will be best spent in 8. Not much has been reported wrong yet, but it is hard to say what that really means. You'll bypass any upgrade bugs, too. IMHO.

By the way, server questions are best asked in comp.databases.oracle.server, and misc questions in cdo.misc.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry_at_eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com