Re: Changing Oracle Database Password

From: Lothar Armbruester <lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de>
Date: 1998/02/06

dasidwel wrote at 05-Feb-98 23:18:33

>On 05 Feb 98 21:18:45 +0100, "Lothar Armbruester"
><lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de> wrote:

[...]

>No you are wrong! You only need ALTER USER privilege to issue the
>command against a user other than yourself or to perform a privileged
>operation (such as changing your default tablespace etc.). You can
>try the following:
>create a new user with only connect role:
 SQL>> GRANT CONNECT TO FRED IDENTIFIED BY FRED;
>Grant succeeded.

SQL>> CONNECT FRED/FRED
>Connected.

SQL>> ALTER USER FRED IDENTIFIED BY NODDY;
>User altered.

SQL>> ALTER USER FRED DEFAULT TABLESPACE TEMP;
>*
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

SQL>> ALTER USER SYSTEM IDENTIFIED BY NODDY;
>*
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

SQL>> SELECT * FROM SESSION_PRIVS;
>PRIVILEGE
>CREATE SESSION
>ALTER SESSION
>CREATE TABLE
>CREATE CLUSTER
>CREATE SYNONYM
>CREATE VIEW
>CREATE SEQUENCE
>CREATE DATABASE LINK

>8 rows selected.

>I think that proves my point.

>>I wouldprefer this:
>>
>>grant connect to <username> identified by <password>;

>Does not make any difference apart from the fact that this is
>pre-version 7 syntax.

>David Sidwell
>(disclaimer: views are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my
>employer)

OK, convinced! Thank you for your attention! ;-)

I had something in mind, where the 'alter user' did not work. (That was Oracle 6, though)

CU,
Lothar

--
Lothar Armbrüster       | lothar.armbruester_at_rheingau.netsurf.de
Schulstr. 12            | lothar.armbruester_at_t-online.de