Re: Installation on NT

From: Hassan Abba <hassan_at_softopt.co.uk>
Date: 1998/02/02

  1. If it is your own private network, you can make up the IP address you use between the Client (Win95) and Server (WinNT).
  2. Configure the IP addresses at the operating system level.
  3. Configure Oracle to use the hostnames of the system.
  4. Both WinNT and Win95 have a hosts file. This can be used to may computer names to IP addresses.

the TCP/IP Loopback address is only used for the local system (i.e. it loops back on to itself, you can only use this from a client that exists on the same oracle db server. )

Do the Following:

  1. Give your Winnt and Win95 IP addresses each, say 194.6.199.100 and 194.6.199.101 respectivily. This is done at the operating system level.
  2. After rebooting the machines, see if they can see each other by pinging them. Ping the client from the server and vice versa.
  3. If they can see each other, you need to do two things.
  4. Configure the Listener.ora file on the Server (WinNT).
  5. Configure the Client using Net8 Easy Config to point to the Server. (Use the IP address of the server as the HOST string).
  6. You should be able to establish an SQL*Plus session from the client to the server.

I hope this helps. If you have questions pls ask.

Regards

Hassan Abba
Oracle DBA/Developer