Re: Multiple database sessions to Oracle ?

From: Pat <smartinp_at_iconz.co.nz>
Date: 1998/01/30

You should look up shared connection pooling in odbc help. I believe there is a way to configure ODBC to multiplex connections. If not develop your own connectivity layer using the ODBC API or MFC ODBC classes which will be more efficient. You pay for what you get in this case Andreas.

Andreas Rektenwald wrote in message <34CB85E3.55C5A621_at_xsoft.co.at>...
>We have written an msaccess 97 application with some Active-X objects
>and lot's of VB code in it. It seems, that nearly every newly created
>recordset generates a new database session to the oracle database, which
>decreses performance dramatically (We enabled database tracing on the
>server platform).
>
>Our environment: MS ODBC driver (2.73)
>Oracle 8, sql*net
>
>example of code generating a new database session:
>
> ''Set cdb = DBEngine(0)(0) --> this is only done one time at
>startup
> Set rsMAdr = cdb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM IAS_ADRESSEN WHERE " &
>_
> "ADR_ID=" & Format$(Me!RefAdr), dbOpenSnapshot)
> If (rsMAdr.RecordCount <= 0) Then
> rsMAdr.Close
> Exit Sub
> End If
>
> With rsMAdr
> Me!ADR_ID = !ADR_ID
> Me!Plz = !Plz
> Me!KurzBez = !KurzBez
> Me!Strasse = !Strasse
> Me!Ort = !Ort
> Me!Land = !Land
> Me!Staat = !Staat
> rsMAdr.Close
>
> Me!KurzBez.SetFocus
> ComNumsSF.LinkMasterFields = "ADR_ID"
> ComNumsSF.LinkChildFields = "BELTO"
> ComNumsSF.Requery
> If (Me!RefAdr.ListCount > 0) Then
> Me!RefAdr = Me!RefAdr.Column(0, 0)
> End If
> End With
> recChanged = False
> ' rsMAdr.Close
>
>this piece of code generates 3-5 new tracefiles on the oracle server.
>
>Is there any way to prevent access or the ODBC driver to make new
>database sessions ?
>
>Thanks a lot in advance,
>--
>
>| Andreas Rektenwald Xsoft EDV-Software
 GesmbH. |
>| email:

 a.rektenwald_at_xsoft.co.at                                      |

>| http: www.xsoft.co.at Loewengasse
3 |
>| fax: +43 1 7129317-18 1030
VIENNA |