Re: HELP: VB/RDO/ODBC - Performance problems

From: mark tomlinson <marktoml_at_gdi.net>
Date: 1998/01/29

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998 16:45:58 -0600, Raghunath Sapuram <raghu_at_tkg.com> wrote:

>I have a VB/rdo/ODBC application connecting to Oracle 7.3 on AIX.
>SQL*Plus and other Oracle tools provide an arraysize parameter to
>maximize data transfer. Is there a way to do this from a VB application?
>
>I have set SDU to about 5200 and I still find that the server is sending
>
>about 860 bytes (on a specific query) and waiting for an acknowledgement
>
>from the client app. before he sends the next packet of another 860
>bytes.
>
>Also, will using out of band breaks help me? (The oracle doc. tells me
>that this will improve performance..but I can't figure it where and how
>to specify this ..Is this possible at all from a VB program?)

ODBC is an API, (let's compare it to OCI for a moment). The application, (say SQL*Plus), tells OCI how to fetch and uses arrays to do it based on the arraysize settings you specified.

VB COULD do the same thing with the ODBC API, I don't know off-hand of any way to configure this, (try one of the Microsoft VB Newsgroups).

mark Received on Thu Jan 29 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message