Re: Character Set

From: Sameer Mahajan <sameerm_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1998/01/22

HI Sreedhar,

I had earlier worked with English and Arabic characterset on the same database with Oracle. I hope the same u could apply for ur case too.

For Arabic the pre-requesites were:

1) Arabic Windows 3.x or Windows 95
2) NLS Language Localized addon for Arabic
3) The NLS extension came on Dev 2K Installation CD.

Things to keep in mind:
1) U can change the NLS_LANG Parameters in Oracle.INI or Oracle Registery entry in case of 95. That effects ur session. 2) The data is what ever language u enter u can retrive that in that language only. Exceptions being numbers. This includes char and varchar2. 3) Oracle basically uses the Windows or the Client OS functionality for NLS conversion.
4) If u do the changes in ur Oracle.ini it effects the Oracle error messages and the menus in case of forms and report too. 5) Infact in Under Arabic windows after the NLS extension u could do developement in complete arabic. I remeber expecially using Reports 2.5 where the menus used to change from right to left and all the development oreintation changes along with the messages.

Since ur choosing multiple languages I guess u have the right characterset on ur database to support all these languages. Best confirm that with Oracle support.

Ur problem might be either those specific language window or the nls extension with the installer.

HTH Sameer Mahajan
sameermj_at_usa.net

sreedhar annamalai <sreedhar_at_world.std.com> wrote in article <En4Ao4.C2y_at_world.std.com>...