Re: using "WHERE" without case sensitivity

From: Scott Phillips <sphillips_at_mediaone.net>
Date: 1998/01/20

Problem with that, is it disables the use of the index because you have modified the left hand side of the where clause.

Can't have cake & eat it to!

John Ellard wrote:

> Steve,
>
> SELECT * FROM TABLE_NAME WHERE UPPER(NAME)
> = 'JOE'
>
> This will convert the field's contents to
> upper case first, then make the
> comparison. You can test this out using
> Oracle's SQL*Plus tool.
>
> Use Oracle's UPPER() or LOWER() functions
> to avoid case sensitivity. FYI, case
> sensitivity is a database option that can
> be set by your DBA.
>
> John Ellard
> jepcsstx_at_bga.com
>
> On Fri, 16 Jan 1998 11:12:53 -0500, Steven
> Schultz <sjschultz_at_home.com> wrote:
>
> >> Steven Schultz wrote in message
 <34BBDC97.415B_at_home.com>...
> [...]
 within fields and select records
 "Joe" = "joe"). The only two
 fields to the tables where the
 into all upper or all lower case
 into the same case or use the
 fields and the text to be searched.
 would like is to be able to create
 case. Is there any capabilities
 problem?

> >I don't think I made my question was
 completely clear. The varchar2
> >value that I want to match in Oracle can
 be any combination of upper and