Re: Space required for different data types

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1998/01/19

In article <69qm9f$lfc_at_bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>, Don Hillsberry <DonHillsberry_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>My DBA is not able to tell me how many bytes Oracle uses to store its
>different data types.
>Does anyone know?

Well, your DBA could try looking in the Oracle7 Administrators Guide under "Understanding Space Use of Datatypes," which he could find by looking in the index under, say, VARCHAR2.

>Also, is the date data type variable length? For example, does Oracle use
>the same space whether or not you store only date and not time or only time
>and not date?

Point-in-time values of date and time in 7 byte fields.

>Thanks in advance for your help.
>Don Hillsberry

comp.databases.oracle group has been superseded by comp.databases.oracle.misc.

--
These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry_at_eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com