ISO-Latin1 support for storage, sorting and searching.

From: Stef ten Bras <stbras.nospam_at_hiscom.nl>
Date: 1998/01/16

ISO-Latin1 support.
How is ISO-Latin1 supported in different database products ?

  • Storage.
  • Sorting.
  • Searching.

How do databases in general and databases specific handle ISO-Latin1 characters. Especially diacritical symbols. For example : ' ` " ~ on the letters: a e i o u

Are letters with an 'accent' treated as letters without an accent? Especially with sorting and with Searching. (Alta Vista does it this way.)

Also, what happens with the extra letters from foreign languages. The A with an 'o' above from the Swedisch alphabeth. (For example Anstrom (with the o above the A)). The ringgel s from German is it converted ? to an 's' or to 'ss'.
Or the name Ja"ger is that translated into Jager or Jaeger.

Any input is welcome.

Why ?
We are changing our legacy database to handle 'this problem' and would like to do this in a 'General' way. So that we don't choose a method not possible in established databases.

If replies could also be made to my mailbox, that would be apprieciated.

thanks in advance,
stef,

--
E-mail:

| stef ten bras, HISCOM afdeling Systeem Ontwikkeling __ o ~ |
| Schipholweg 97, Postbus 901, 2300 AX Leiden, Nederland _ _/[._ |
| Tel. +31 71 5256758, Email stbras_at_hiscom.nl -- (_)>(_) |