Re: Oracle8 & older Products

From: Dr. J. Wang <NO_SPAM.jizwang_at_cc.umanitoba.ca>
Date: 1998/01/13

In article <69fver$77c_at_bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>, "Richard Powell" <OpenSolutions_at_worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Oracle will tell you that this is not possible. I will tell you that it
>takes the right setup and in fact that I have it working on the laptop I am
>sending this email from. If you would like to know how I did this call me
>at 912-953-1411 in the evenings or 912-633-7497 during the day. If you
>want me to document this I will when I have time, my understanding is that
>version 2.0 of Designer 2000 will work with PO8 natively.
>
>Rick Powell
>Open Solutions, Inc.
>opensolutions_at_worldnet.att.net
>
>Fadel <fkamardean_at_email.msn.com> wrote in article
><OaW$gONE9GA.316_at_upnetnews02.moswest.msn.net>...
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I installed Personal Oracle8 on Win95 and
>> everything just worked fine. I can get connected
>> to the local database and everything via SQL*Plus
>> 8.0. I didn't have any old version of Oracle
>> installed.
>> Here is my problem:
>> Afterward, I installed Designer2000 but I
>> couldn't connect to my local and only database.
>> Error message :ORA-03121: no interface driver
>> connected - function not performed
>> I got this err. message when using SQL*Plus 3.3
>> I guess that this has something to do with SQL*Net
>> configuration. Do I have to use SQL*Net on a local
>> database?
>>
>> Any clue, anyone ?
>>
>> Thanx in advance
>> Fadel _at_ fkamardean_at_msn.com

I have successfully installed Developer/2000 along with Oracle 8.03. The trick is simple. Installing Developer/2000 first. OR if you have installed Oracle 8.03, install Dev/2000 as you normally do and then re-install Net8 from Oracle 8.x. SQL*Net does NOT support Oracle 8.x. Net8 however is backward compatable.

Jizhong Received on Tue Jan 13 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message