Re: Indexing Tables

From: jared still <jkstill_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1998/01/11

On Thu, 8 Jan 1998 09:18:21 -0600, "Bert Scalzo" <bscalz01_at_7-11.com> wrote:

>Always index all FK columns (see application developers guide).
>
>Briefly, Oracle will place exclusive table level locks on child tables
>during parent table DML operations if there are no FK indexes. This greatly
>reduces concurrency.
>
>Bert Scalzo

Bert,

This behavior changed from version 7.1 -> 7.2. Prior to 7.2 it acts one way, later versions do just the opposite.

One version locks the parent table when there is no FK index, the other locks the child table.

Unfortunately, I can't remember which is which at the moment, but thought you might like to know. Received on Sun Jan 11 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message