Re: Scalability Questions

From: <bret_at_sybase.com>
Date: 1998/01/08

In article <884212145.596049928_at_dejanews.com>,   ewall_at_olicon.com wrote:

> Does anyone know the theoretical maximum number of concurrent users
> allowed and the maximum database size for Oracle/NT, Informix/NT and
> Sybase/NT?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric Wall
>
> P.S. I believe that MS SQL Server is 10,000 for concurrent users and 200
> GB for max database size -- can confirm this?

User connections in Sybase are limited to ((the number of file descriptors the OS will allow a process) * (number of engines)) - number of devices.

The current theoretical maximum database size is based on limits of 128 device fragments (ie, rows in sysusages) per database. The maximum size for a device in NT is 32GB. 128 * 32GB = 4 Terabytes.

There is a limit of 256 devices per server, so you could only have one database that large. You could have a second one slightly smaller, allowing for some overhead for master, model, tempdb, sybsystemprocs, dbccdb, etc.

--
Bret Halford            	Imagine my disappointment
Sybase Technical Support        in learning the true nature