Re: Citrix Winframe & Oracle

From: <flmighe_at_ibm.net>
Date: 1998/01/08

In <#WBOAVFH9GA.238_at_nih2naab.prod2.compuserve.com>, Byron Young <100064.2036_at_CompuServe.COM> writes:

>We are running an application (Maximo) on an NT Citrix Winframe
>Server accessing Oracle on OS/390. We are encountering
>performance problems when we reach more than 30 users. The NT
>servers which run the app and Citrix using load balancing are 233
>Pentiums with 512mb. The OS/390 is a Multiprise 2000-106 (19
>Mips) and has nothing else running on it.
>Anybody any experiences with this type of environment ?
>I would add that users on the local LAN are also using Citrix but
>the Lan traffic does not seem excessive. Response to the Oracle
>databases with a ping does seem on the high side.
>
>--
You are lucky: An NT 4.0/Hydra Citrix single CPU can handle only 5 concurrent users per application owing to instability issues and many many Win3.1 and Win32 products will require a special version in order to operate on NT 4.0/Hydra. (WBT server)

The Tarantella software will initially be available on SCO UnixWare (Novell's Unix) and Sun Solaris, and will be ported to IBM AIX, HP-UX, Siemens Nixdorf Sinix, SCO OpenServer, and Windows NT, according to SCO. Representatives from Compaq Computer, Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Netscape Communications, and Unisys provided endorsements for Tarantella, and SCO is working on various bundling and software compatibility partnerships with those companies and others. (probably that includes Oracle.) The cost is $245 per user for a 100-user license and $200 per user for a 500-user license. It may end up being better than Citrix

There is also Oracle's Borland connection. Corel has a technology called Remagen that works with Borland's BDE. If it is as good as the preliminary news it may obsolete Citrix could be applied to Oracle and other DBM's. Remagen, according to history, is a temporary bridge so obviously better approaches are planned.

I have concluded that Citrix for Oracle is just a place holder and you will have better options in a few months. On OS/2 the WSO-D product currently requires the use of Citric to accesss an NT server but this may not be the case in the future. A new version of WSO-D is to be released this year.

http://www.eskimo.com/~mighetto/client.htm has more information and information on WSO-D   Received on Thu Jan 08 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message