Multi-threading and Oracle 7.3.x

From: Chris Curtin <ccurtin_at_mindspring.com>
Date: 1997/12/29

Hi,

We are developing a multi-threaded application which has several servers, all with several threads. We are using Pro*C and Oracle 7.3.2.1. When reading the Pro*C documentation its contains a short section about multi-threading and describes contexts and how to create them.

I have several questions:
1. Is a context defined per database connection? Right now our application creates a connection for each top-level business object and passes ths connection name to all the other business objects which the top level owns. Also each top-level business object executes in a dedicated thread.
2. Is it safe to assume one context to a connection? 3. How is the sqlca structure handled? The Pro*C documentation suggests changing its type to automatic, but I don't see how to do that since the structure is defined in a Oracle header file.

Any advice would be greatly appreaciated

Chris Curtin
ccurtin_at_mindspring.com Received on Mon Dec 29 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message