7.3 on Intranetware SMP

From: Brett J. Stonier <bretts_at_brightwood.com>
Date: 1997/12/26

I apologize if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find any answers through Deja News or on Oracle's website (sheesh, is that thing slow!)

We're currently looking at hardware options for upgrading our Oracle 7.3 Intranetware database server. My current vision is to move it from a P90 to a dual pentium-pro 200 (with some additional controllers and memory.)

I have some questions as to what SMP would get us, though. I have heard it said that when SMP is used, Oracle takes one processor and Netware takes the other. However, I have also been told that Oracle bypassses most of Netware and does its own I/O, etc. If both of these statements are true, then I see one processor (Oracle's) doing most of the work and the other one (Netware's) standing largely idle. Are dual processors worth it, or would a single pentium-pro 200 be almost as good? I am hoping that one of those statements (or my conclusion) is not quite accurate, and therefore 2 processors will perform significantly better than 1.

Secondly, I have heard grumblings that Oracle on SMP is not very stable. Is this true? Are there certain versions of Oracle on SMP that are more stable than others? Any horror stories I should be aware of?

Thx for any and all help ...

Brett S.
http://www.mtjeff.com/~calvin/devhbook Received on Fri Dec 26 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message