Re: Problems with installing Oracle & Sybase on same box?

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_pebble.ml.org>
Date: 1997/12/19

In article <882563806.1021247492_at_dejanews.com>,  <john.gilmer_at_dssolutions.com> wrote:
>I am trying to find out if it is necessary to have the two(Sybase &
>Oracle) RDBM systems seperated. There is a proposal floating around that
>would consolidate many Sun es4000's to 1 Sun es10000. Pros & Cons?
>
>Are there any major problems with installing Sybase & Oracle on the same
>box? Other than memory, cpu, swap, and disk space. i.e. kernel params,
>etc. Platform is Sun Solaris 2.5.1, es4000 platform.

I've run this combo on several other unix platforms with no problems. The kernel/memory requirements are additive. Make a more formal investigation if you are talking about gigs of memory, though.

The real cons are tuning, such as reducing contention for processors and disks, but that is db independent. Be sure the proposal has studied data transfer rates of all the many machines, so they add up less than the 10000's capacity. Oracle is quite the memory hog, too. I'd only do it if the many machines are currently linking databases or otherwise talking to each other heavily, or some other clear financial incentive like maint costs.

As usual, the real answer is "it depends," and there is not enough info in the query to decide.

You should ask this on comp.databases.oracle.server, as comp.databases.oracle has been officially defunct for over a year.

jg

>Thanks,
>
>John Gilmer
>john.gilmer_at_dssolutions.com

These opinions are my own and not necessarily those of Information Quest
jgarry_at_eiq.com                           http://www.informationquest.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/joel_garry
"See your DBA?"  I AM the _at_#%*& DBA!