Database Design Tool

From: Zlatko Baumberger-Meskovic <zb_at_blue-chips.ch>
Date: 1997/12/16

Hello,

We are evaluating a new design tool for our databases. Until now we looked at:

	PowerDesignor (S-Designor) from Powersoft
	Cool (Key, ADW) from Sterling Software
	SILVERRUN from Silverrun
and	ErWin from Logic Works

But we have the problem that some tools are very expensive, others are limited.
The minimal requirenments are:

	separate conceptual and physical model
	support of major databases for generation and
	  reverse engineering
	flexible reports
	support for > 300 entities
	multiuser support
	running on Unix or Windows
conceptual level:
	domains, entities, relationships, business rules...
	entity inheritance
physical:
	domains, tables, table check constraints, primary keys,
	  foreign keys, alternate keys, indexes, views,
	  physical storage parameters, triggers, stored procedures
Optional are:
	reports in HTML (dynamic, if data-model is stored in
	  a database ?)
	additional attributes in m-n relations

Now to my questions:
	What additional criterias should we use for evaluation ?
	What other tools are available ?
	What are your experiences with these tools ?

thank you

Zlatko Baumberger-Meskovic

Blue-Chips AG
8048 Zürich
Switzerland Received on Tue Dec 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message