Re: HELP PLEASE - ODBC AND ORACLE

From: Michael Krolewski <mikkro_at_hbsi.com>
Date: 1997/12/13

Sanjeev Aggarwal wrote:

> I have set up two instances on my Oracle(v7.1) server (AIX) and both
> instances have an entry in the listener.ora. The listener starts okay
> and says each instance has a service handler but when I try to connect
> onto the database from my client (win95 and winnt) I get a nettcp error
>
> I have updated my oracle.ini and tnsnames.ora on my client but the
> problem persists. I can use sql*net 3.3 client to logon onto the server
> from my PC but DBC just does want to connect

Assuming that you can connect to Oracle via SQLNet and SQLPlus,

you need to get the latest and greatest 16bit or 32bit ODBC drivers. I believe
the Oracle web site is best source. Note not all application can use 32bit
or the 16 bit drivers. MS Access 2.0 or earlier needs 16 bit, MS Access 97
needs the 32bit drivers. I personnally like the 32bit ODBC connect software.

Check with the ODBC product.

I would follow the instructions including testing the ODBC with the ODBC test program that is supplied, testing that 32bit ODBC administrator is properly installed (a separate step not supported directly by the oracle install software), then try an easy ODBC connection like MS Access.

By the way, I am pretty sure you can only connect to one Oracle database at a time with ODBC. Some applications eg MS Access does not appear to like to be reset to another ODBC database while it is running.

Happy computing

Mike Krolewski