Re: Anyone use bitmap indexes?

From: Oliver Critchley <oliver.critchley_at_no.spam.please>
Date: 1997/12/12

Tim Palmer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody out there know anything about bitmap indexing. From what i
> know of them they sound perfect for
> many of the tables in our system. On a recent course i was told they
> would work with oracle server 7.3.3 onwards, we use 7.3.2 - but ive also
> been told that they will work here as well. The fact that im sending
> this note means they dont! Or at least when i try the 'create
> index....etc' syntax with bitmap clause.
>
> In a nutshell, does anybody know what version of oracle (and if
> applicable server configuration) is needed to get these things to work.
>
> Thanks in anticipation
>
> Tim Palmer

Although I've never tried bitmap indexes myself, I believe that they work with Oracle 7.3.* onwards. Furthermore, apparently they only work with the Enterprise edition of the server and not with the Workgroup edition (although the documentation makes no mention of this fact).

Good luck!

Oliver Received on Fri Dec 12 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message