Re: HELP PLEASE - ODBC AND ORACLE

From: Dr. J. Wang <NO_SPAM.jizwang_at_cc.umanitoba.ca>
Date: 1997/12/11

In article <348FEF18.47E52DC3_at_dodge.com>, Sanjeev Aggarwal <sanjeev_aggarwal_at_dodge.com> wrote:
>I have set up two instances on my Oracle(v7.1) server (AIX) and both
>instances have an entry in the listener.ora. The listener starts okay
>and says each instance has a service handler but when I try to connect
>onto the database from my client (win95 and winnt) I get a nettcp error

If you title was right, you were trying to connect to Oracle via ODBC. But before you do that, have you confirm your SQL*Net installation? simply logon to Oracle using client side SQL*PLUS and see. or use TNSPING (C:\ORANT\BIN) to check if client-side TNSNAMES.ORA is setup correctly. If TNSPING works, SQL*PLUS will.

>I have updated my oracle.ini and tnsnames.ora on my client but the
>problem persists. I can use sql*net 3.3 client to logon onto the server
>from my PC but DBC just does want to connect

ODBC is buggy comparing with SQL*NET connection. I had some bad experience with ODBC drivers from MS and Oracle some time ago. Recently I am using ODBC drivers come with VB5.0 and Oracle 8.03 packages. Both are working OK.

Again, check your SQL*NET first before you touch any ODBC.

>I am fairly new to Oracle so any help apreciated, and sorry if this a
>basic fundamental that i should know !
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Regards
>Sanjeev

Jizhong Wang, Ph.D.                   		jizwang_at_cc.umanitoba.ca
Systems Analyst, Information Services
St. Boniface General Hospital			Tel. 204-235-3326
Winnipeg, Canada				Fax. 204-237-6229