MAPI message (via DLL call) from stored procedure vs. alert

From: Paul Valdetaro <paulv_at_cais.com>
Date: 1997/12/11

Hi all,

    I am writing a stored procedure. When it finishes execution, I want to notify the user that triggered the SP. If my memeory is correct, I read a thread the other day that says its possible to call a DLL from a stored procedure (BTW, I can no longer find this thread if someone could direct me to it, TIA) . Assuming the DLL option is available.

  1. What are the advantages/disadvantages of using MAPI vs Oracle's alert package?
  2. If the DLL option is preferable, how is it done? What pieces must reside on the server (i.e., do I need a local post office or just some MAP DLL file?
  3. If the alert option is preferable, can someone point me to some examples. The 3rd party PL SQL books I have don't seem to go into much detail or show examples.

TIA Paul Valdetaro Received on Thu Dec 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message