Re: sqlnet 1 versus sqlnet 2

From: Erik L. Cohen <doublebass_at_pipeline.com>
Date: 1997/12/05

Henk <HBor_at_iinetgate.capgemini.nl> wrote:

>--------------BE1A8E038E2241295033857E

>Hello,

>We are maintaining a product based on ORACLE 7.1.4 (running on an IBM RS/6000,
>AIX 4.1.4) using sqlnet1. The program itself is build in C with a PRO*C
>interface.

>There are plans to upgrade the database to ORACLE 7.3 or greater and I heard
>that sqlnet 1 is not supported anymore.

>What changes do I need to migrate the application to ORACLE 7.3 or >.
>Is linking against the sqlnet2 library sufficient.

>We use the TWO_TASK and ORACLE_SID variable to connect to the database.

>Thanks,
>-- Henk --

Sqlnet 2.x no longer supports IP addresses in the connect string. We had to add database aliases and then use the following format

CONNECT username/password_at_DB1 where DB1 is the database alias.

Previously you could have specified _at_T:161.31.51.8 and you would have been connected.

You will have to change all database links if they utilize the ip address or dns in the USING clause.

Anyway, this is what I had to do. If anyone knows of a workaround, I'd lke to hear it.

Erik Cohen
DBA
Systems Development Center
Arlington, VA Received on Fri Dec 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message