Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Anthony Mandic <no_sp.am_at_agd.nsw.gov.au>
Date: 1997/12/03

Gary L. Burnore wrote:

> Anthony Mandic wrote:
>
> : The seat level context - is that all seats?
> : How do these translate to actual locks in a server?
> : I don't think its as straight forward as table, page and row.
>
> All seats within a class are displayed. As long as you have ONE of the seats
> highlighted, it's yours (well, it's the customer's but you have dibs on it)
> until you either accept it or pick a different row. For example, if two
> agents standing side by side are waiting on a couple and each has a seat next
> to the other, and they want them swapped. The agent would rather they just
> switch seats because both seats would have to be released at the same time to
> make the switch work and in that short period of time, another attendant say,
> at the ticket counter instead of the gate could grab the seat.

	Hmmm. Interesting. The locks follow the cursor. Obviously, with
	a large number of users there would be quite some overhead. I
	can see the advantage here, as you cursor over to a seat you'd
	be able to detect whether if it had already been reserved.

> I'd pretty much call that row level.

	Yes, but one at a time. You could also do it by setting a field
	value in the required row, if you wanted to. (But lets not go
	into that).

-am Received on Wed Dec 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message