Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Jung S. Lee <orbiter_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/12/03

Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> For a finely tuned application, row level locking
> does *not* matter.

To fine tune application to avoid any major deadlock as a developer, you need a lot of experience with how SQL server and database works. With row level locking capability, it makes things a lot easier cutting many development hours.
Arguing which is better row level vs. page level is silly as an experienced database developer/dba because we know better. I think that both Sybase and MS will/have come up with dynamic locking capability in current/future releases.
Insisting on one will cost you either performance or extra codes to prevent deadlocks.

--
Jay Lee   Lake Mary, FL