Re: Change the DB_NAME ?????????????

From: Samuel Adeniji <sam_at_shoestrings.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1997/12/03

Erik Oosterling wrote:

> I got a problem.
> i got a NT server with 5 oracle database (7.2.2.4 version). Now yout
> thinking that's no problem. But all the databases have the same name
> (default value : oracle). I i try to change the db_name in the init.ora is
> receive a error that the name is not the same as the controlfile is
> expecting and the db will not start.
> Is there a way to change this easy ?
> Thank you !
> PS
> within a few weeks we will migrate to 7.3.3. !
> --
> please remove .NOSPAM from email addres for email replies.
> Apologies for cloaking my address.
1. Use oradim73 to to create a new instance.

2.	Connect to the existing database and run the following statement:
	alter database backup controlfile to trace

	This would create a trace file in the %RDBMS72\trace directory like
this

STARTUP NOMOUNT
CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "SHOE" NORESETLOGS ARCHIVELOG     MAXLOGFILES 32
    MAXLOGMEMBERS 2
    MAXDATAFILES 32
    MAXINSTANCES 16
    MAXLOGHISTORY 1600
LOGFILE
  GROUP 1 'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\LOG01.DBF'  SIZE 5M,
  GROUP 2 'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\LOG02.DBF'  SIZE 5M,
  GROUP 3 'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\LOG03.DBF'  SIZE 5M,
  GROUP 4 'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\LOG04.DBF'  SIZE 5M,
  GROUP 5 'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\LOG05.DBF'  SIZE 5M
DATAFILE
  'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\SYSTEM.DBF',
  'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\RBS01.DBF',
  'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\TEMP01.DBF',
  'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\SAMA1.DBF'

;

# Recovery is required if any of the datafiles are restored backups, # or if the last shutdown was not normal or immediate. RECOVER DATABASE # All logs need archiving and a log switch is needed. ALTER SYSTEM ARCHIVE LOG ALL; # Database can now be opened normally.
ALTER DATABASE OPEN;

3.	Change the REUSE DATABASE to set DATABASE.
	 You can optionally change the NORESETLOGS option to RESETLOGS.
	The file should look similar to this

4.	Change the db_name in the init.ora.

connect internal;
startup nomount
CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "SHOE" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG     MAXLOGFILES 32
    MAXLOGMEMBERS 2
    MAXDATAFILES 32
    MAXINSTANCES 16
    MAXLOGHISTORY 1600
LOGFILE
  GROUP 1 'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\LOG01.DBF'  SIZE 5M,
  GROUP 2 'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\LOG02.DBF'  SIZE 5M,
  GROUP 3 'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\LOG03.DBF'  SIZE 5M,
  GROUP 4 'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\LOG04.DBF'  SIZE 5M,
  GROUP 5 'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\LOG05.DBF'  SIZE 5M
DATAFILE
  'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\SYSTEM.DBF',
  'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\RBS01.DBF',
  'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\TEMP01.DBF',
  'D:\ORADATA\SHOE\SAMA1.DBF'

;

# Recovery is required if any of the datafiles are restored backups, # or if the last shutdown was not normal or immediate.

# Database can now be opened normally.
ALTER DATABASE OPEN RESETLOGS; Received on Wed Dec 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message