Re: Change the DB_NAME ?????????????

From: Rick Muffler <rmuffler_at_mema.mail.fedex.com>
Date: 1997/12/03

Erik -
You just need to recreate the control file with the correct database name in it. Following is a bulletin put out by Oracle Support on how to do it for Unix boxes. Since i'm not NT-literate, you'll have to make adjustments (like how to run the ccf.sql file .. instead of _at_ccf you'll run it some other way)

hope that helps.
Rick

Changing the dbname for a database

  1. sqldba
  2. connect internal
  3. alter database backup controlfile to trace; This will write in a trace file, the CREATE CONTROLFILE command that would recreate the controlfile as it currently exists.
  4. Exit and go to the directory where your trace files are located. They are usually in the $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log directory. If user_dump_dest is set in the initSID.ora, then go to the directory listed in the user_dump_dest variable. The trace file will have the form "ora_NNNN.trc with NNNN being a number.
  5. Get the CREATE CONTROLFILE command from the trace file and put it in a new file called something like ccf.sql.
  6. Edit the ccf.sql file and modify the CREATE CONTROLFILE command. Just change the word "REUSE" to "SET",and "NORESETLOGS" to "RESETLOGS", and modify the dbname. Old line: CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "olddbname" NORESETLOGS ... New line: CREATE CONTROLFILE set DATABASE "newdbname" RESETLOGS ... Then save the ccf.sql file.
  7. Rename the old control files for backup purposes and so they are not in the way of creating the new ones.
  8. Edit initSID.ora so that db_name="newdbname".
  9. sqldba
  10. connect internal
  11. startup nomount
  12. _at_ccf
  13. alter database open;
  14. Make sure the database is working. Shutdown and backup the database.

--
Rick Muffler
Federal Express Corporation