Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Anthony Mandic <no_sp.am_at_agd.nsw.gov.au>
Date: 1997/12/02

Gary L. Burnore wrote:

> On 01 Dec 1997 08:12:02 -0700, Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_sgi.com> wrote:
>
> :>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Segel <Mikey_at_NOSPAM.King.of.MyDomain.NOSPAM.Segel.com> writes:
> :Michael>
> :Michael> But to defend Sybase by saying that row level
> :Michael> locking isn't important, is pretty damn
> :Michael> silly.
> :
> :I have yet to see you refute any of my points regarding row
> :level vs page level locking. For a well written
> :application, and isn't that what you strive for?, it simply
> :doesn't matter.
> :
> :To simply lob the above and not back it up with any
> :technical merit is pretty damn silly.
>
> Tell the airlines that row-level locking isn't important. If the entire
> seating table for a flight was locked for one attendent to assign you a seat,
> it'd be caos.

	Thats a table lock. Any programmer who does this deserves what'll
	happen to him/her.

> Row level locking is quite important in some instances. I also agree with his
> statement that to defend Sybase by saying that YOU don't think row level
> locking is important is silly.

	I thick the claims being made are specious without any hard
	evidence to back them up. I have yet to see any. Can you or
	anyone else provide a concrete example?

-am Received on Tue Dec 02 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message