Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_sgi.com>
Date: 1997/12/01

Michael>
Michael> [ examples deleted ]
Michael>
Michael> True, you can write these with page level locks,
Michael> however you won't get the performance, and you will
Michael> have to write extra code to compensate.

What do you base your assertion that "you won't get the performance"? The applications you talked about are all applications that require a highly tuned application in order to get excellent performance.

If you look at the TPC-C's (as I've mentioned, before) you'll see another highly tuned (OLTP) application. If I compare the *currently* submitted numbers for Sybase vs Informix I see the following:

	Sybase.....  39,469 tpmC
	Informix...  24,309 tpmC

That's a 62% performance increase by using Sybase. Now I grant you that I believe that we'll see Informix Inc. publishing even higher numbers but that's not my point. My point is:

	For a finely tuned application, row level locking
	does *not* matter.

The numbers don't support it.

I don't see you producing any factual data to prove your point. I'd be more than happy to look at any factual and objective data you produce.

As for writing "extra code to compensate", this is a subjective remark. I think the code difference between the two is minor enough...

Michael> Sorry Pablo, defend Sybase on another point. Surely
Michael> there are things that Sybase does that Informix
Michael> can't right? I mean, take Oracle for instance. They
Michael> have some neat indexing techniques that Informix
Michael> lacks.

Honestly, this has nothing to do with Sybase. It has to do with marketing hype as I've said all along. You've swallowed the row-level is better than page-level pill. It sorta makes sense but unfortunately the facts don't support it. It's marketing hype.

  • TPC information can be gleaned from www.tpc.org -- Pablo Sanchez | Ph # (650) 933.3812 Fax # (650) 933.2821 pablo_at_sgi.com | Pg # (800) 930.5635 -or- pablo_p_at_pager.sgi.com
    I am accountable for my actions. http://reality.sgi.com/pablo [ /Sybase_FAQ ]