Re: About Rollback Segments

From: Emmanuel Guyot <emmguyot_at_3dnet.fr>
Date: 1997/11/30

"Jorge A. San Martín" <jsanmart_at_tortuga.its.cl> wrote:

>Hi,
> I have a lot of doubts about rollback segments (RS), I work with
>Oracle Server 7.3.2.3, we have a table with a lot of records; 1,000,000
>daily aprox, which must be deleted, but the rollback segments excedes
>the MAXEXTENTS parameter. I have read the manual about RS, but I don't
>know what values are the bests for a RS for this task. Is there a way
>to disable the RS ?

If you have to delete the whole table, use truncate, it doesn't use the RS. In the other case, you should create a huge RS that will be used only for this kind of operation. To estimate the size of the RS : the size of one line of the table * number of records to delete.

E.G.

8 Rue des Montees              | Phone     : [33] (0)2 38 56 42 72
45100 Orleans - France         | EMail     : emmguyot_at_3DNet.fr
Home Page : http://www.3DNet.fr/belote/belote.html