Faster data access

From: Milton Larson <milton_at_eaglesoft.com>
Date: 1997/11/24

Attention Oracle/Unix (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX) users:

We (EAGLE Software) have developed a new disk optimization technique that works on Unix file systems AND raw partitions, and are looking for people willing to give it a try. It's called SEEKRite (patent pending), and once it is installed, disks can be optimized on-line, completely transparent to other processes. In tests so far, we have seen 70-90% reduction in average seek distance, and 25-35% reduction in average disk response time. This means you could expect to see a 25-35% increase in speed of disk intensive operations.

The basic concept is really quite simple. On most disks, as much as 90% of all accesses are to as little as 10% of the data. Without SEEKRite, that most frequently used 10% is usually scattered all over the disk, and accessing it requires long, slow seeks. SEEKRite identifies the most frequently accessed data and clusters it together, dramatically reducing average seek distance and disk response time. And, best of all, this clustering can be done while the data is still in use.

If you would like to give SEEKRite a try on your system (no charge or obligation), or would simply like more information, reply to me directly at "milton_at_eaglesoft.com".

Thanks! Received on Mon Nov 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message